- Cook the brown rice for 45-50 min. Remove rice from heat, keep covered and let sit 15 minutes. Open the lid and add the rice vinegar, sugar and salt. Mix well. Cool to room temperature.
- Prepare all the vegetables. Touch both sides of the nori sheets - One side is smooth, the other is rough. Place nori sheets rough side facing up on bamboo mat.
- Start by lightly wetting your fingers in water. Take a handful of rice and shape it into a ball.
- It is important to keep your hands wet when manipulating the rice; otherwise the rice will stick to your fingers. However, when working with the nori, it is a good idea to keep your hands dry. Have a bowl of water and a dry cloth handy!
- Place the rice ball in the middle of the nori sheet and spread it evenly on the sheet, creating a thin layer of rice covering the majority of the nori surface. Leave 2cm of its upper edges clear of rice as this will be used to seal the roll.
- Add the vegetables while keeping coconut and sesame seeds on the edge of the nori that is closest to you.
- Carefully roll the bottom edge towards the top, tightly enclosing the filling into a cylinder.
- Press firmly until you reach the end of the sheet and the 2cm edging is visible. Dip your finger in a little tamari sauce or water and apply to the edge to seal. Continue to roll the sushi firmly with the bamboo mat until the roll is completely sealed.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the roll in several portions that are approximately 1 inch thick.
This recipe will give 6-8 pieces. Dip sushi in a wheat-free tamari sauce and wasabi!