- Pour the alcohol in an opaque glass bottle.
- Cut the vanilla beans lengthwise in half. With the back of a knife or spoon, remove the vanilla “caviar” (the seeds found inside the bean). Cut the remaining shell of the vanilla bean into 3 pieces. Put the caviar & the shell into the glass bottle.
- Place the bottle in a cupboard, hidden from sunlight. After one month your extract will be ready for use, however with time it only becomes better (around the 6 month mark).
- During the first 2 weeks, shake the bottle 2-3 times a week. For the remaining 5 and a half months, continue to shake it 1-2 times per week.
- After the 6 months have passed, filter the extract through a strainer and remove the caviar and the shell. Add to any recipe that requires vanilla bean and Enjoy!
Vanilla extract can be kept for years, and only matures with age, like a fine wine!