- If the dried fruits are a bit tough or hard, soak them for 10 minutes in lukewarm water.
- Chop the figs into small cubes.
- Chop the walnuts into large chunks.
- Using a little vegetable oil, saute the walnuts over medium heat. Add the finely chopped onion, cranberries and chopped figs.
- Add the maple syrup, nutmeg and splash with the apple cider vinegar. Simmer for 5 minutes, then add the water.
- Cover the pan and let simmer for 30 to 40 minutes over low heat.
- If you find the chutney too sticky or thick, add a bit of water and continure cooking until you reach your desired consistency.
The chutney will keep in an air tight container in a refrigerator for several days.